27 August 2007

Passport Complications

I need a whole new word for stress these days. Oi! I didn't really have time to go up to New York to get my passport and visa, but Mom and Dad suggested it because at this point, why mail the visa/passport? That being said, I drove up to New York on Sunday afternoon.

I met up with Brian Emery, who went to Prague a year ago, so we could catch up on film and I could ask him any questions about Prague. Brian and I are officially jealous of each other. He is jealous of me for going to Prague, because he wants to go back and I am jealous of him for having found some amazing jobs so quickly out of college. Brian took me to Heidelberg, an ethnically German restaurant, located on the Upper East Side. He attempted to get me into beer, but it was no use. He is disappointed in me for my lack of taste for beer.

By the time I got to hang with Sabrina, I was exhausted. We quickly caught up on how our summers were and resolved to watch television. I'm glad that's all we had the energy to do, because we ended up watching "Flight of the Concords" and I love it! If you want to learn more (and you should! It's freakin' hilarious!): Flight of the Conchords. Also, you can download a lot of free stuff from itunes, including 2 episodes.


That being said, now onto the worst part of this whole trek. I head over to the Czech consulate around 10am and get there around 10:30am. After about ten minutes, I tell the receptionist why I am there and she goes to retrieve my passport. She begins reviewing my information and I immediately notice that the photo on my visa is not me. She didn't notice, after all, the girl didn't look that different. I had to go get more passport photos taken and I was so pissed off, I went West when I should have gone East. By the time my anger subsided, I had gone so far, I needed to grab a taxi back. Long story short, I drove up here to physically obtain my passport and now I have to have it mailed to me. I was given two numbers to call and remind them to overnight in on Wedesday. I basically had a panic attack. While the panic attack is over, I'm still beside myself. It's frustrating to lose control of something like your passport when you're due to leave the country in one week.

1 comment:

Eric G. said...

Awww, deep breath. You'll be okay. I know it sucks that you had go home without your passport, but look at all the good you got out of the trip! You got to see so many people you love!

'Sides, the passport thing is a hassle for EVERYONE, some cases worse than others, of course. But you'll laugh about this once Prague turns out to be the best thing that every happened to you. It ain't no thing...the trip to Prague will be worth it.