14 October 2007

Kutna Hora


Last Sunday, Abe and I decided it would be fun (maybe even inspring in some way) to go visit the Bone Church in Kutna Hora, a small town outside of Prague. The train ride is less than $7 (about 140 Kc) and takes around an hour. After trying to develop our film story, we enjoyed the train ride and viewed the Czech country side. The "Bone Church" actually known as Kostnice Sedlec. Due to it's large appeal to tourists, they have their own website about theBone Church. At least you can read the history as to how it became what it is today.

The church was packed with tourists and a handful of people who had come to visit the gravesite that engulfs the church yard. The graves are well kept and actually, very colorful from all the flowers left on the site. The tombstones also vary greatly in style and size, creating an interesting variety in the yard. After circling the church, Abe and I proceeded to the entrance. The church was definitely a hot spot. Most of the tourists I overheard spoke English. The most amusing of these were three old ladies who said how the display of bones was disgusting, sickening, sacralidge (sp?), I was very tempted to ask them why they chose to come see something they considered highly offensive. I held my tongue.

I wasn't as struck with awe as I was in the catacombs in Vienna. Probably due to the difference in presentation of remains. Catacombs feel more like a grave, and while the church had a significantly large graveyard, the bones within the church are decorative. This was the intention though, given the yard had become overfilled. It's definitely an interesting site to see, I can't compare it to anything really. It's just fascinating to see someone use the skeletal remains so artfully.

Abe and I didn't stay very long, since the church was overflowing with noisy tourists. The church is also fairly small, so you see everything relatively quickly. We decided that it was best not to waste the day and explore the main part of town about a mile or two away. One thing I found most interesting was the number of sizeable churches. How are so many that extensive and intricate built all that close to one another? All together, Abe and I passed about 4 large churches. I also saw a few in the opposite direction from the train station. It just boggles my mind because they don't appear to have been built recently. Unfortunately, all of them were closed, so I didn't get any interior shots of any of the other churches.

The largest church was the one on the farthest end of Kutna Hora. This chuch has a roof with a circus tent-like quality. From outside the town along the main road, it seriously looks like an oversized circus tent. One of the other noteable beauties of the town is the valley that runs alongside a part of the town. Given the time of year, it was absolutely beautiful - autumn is my favorite season after all. The town was absolutely charming and by the end of the day, we were pretty beat from walking as much as we did. I would have to guess anywhere from 4-6 miles, but I honestly have no idea.

Kutna Hora LP.1
Kutna Hora LP.2

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Cool Meghan! You should take some photos of the cemetery. I'm actually taking a photo safari in Washington, DC, next weekend . . . at a cemetery!

M K said...

I did take photos, I'm just behind on putting them up. No worries, I'm trying to catch up...though I've got a lot of pictures to sort through.