13 September 2007

The Name Game

Today was yet another Czech lesson. Today, after class, Ilona took us to a tea house nearby. We all had tea, hummus and hookah. I must say, I'm not really into the hookah, it made me feel a little sick, though it was interesting to try smoking something that tasted fruity. Once that was done, we all went back to FAMU to meet up with Amy to have a discussion about culture shock and how to avoid or overcome it. We also discussed how unlikely it would be any of us would actually experience it given the length of our stay and the connections to home and to one another. Amy also gave us our schedules for the next week. It contains all our normal classes for the semester, but the times are subject to change. Electives will be chosen and assigned sometime during the next week as well.

After the culture shock meeting, I walked around for about 2 hours. I took some pictures along the route from our first walking tour, but until I have more, I'm not going to post them, because I'd like to keep things somewhat organized.

One of the adjustments I've had to make is responding to a group of people I barely know calling me "Meg" on a regular basis. I know it's petty and it sounds very silly, but it's really strange to me to be called Meg by people I've just met. Even some of my closest friends don't call me Meg, and when I hear it, I think of it as a sign of affection, although to everyone here, it's just my name. I feel like an a*hole correcting them at this point.

3 comments:

oeste2 said...

you could ask Andrew how he handles being called 'Andy'!!

Astrid said...

Great blog Meghan! Wow, you've taken lots of great pictures. How are you feeling? Are you enjoying the experience so far or is it too early to tell? And when are you coming to Zurich?!

Eric G. said...

Hmm...I probably should have just left my last comment on this entry rather than the previous one. Whatever.

Yeah, I think you pointed out that you didn't like being called Meg to me in freshman year. It was no big deal. I'm sure it won't be a big deal for anyone else, either.

Tell me about your classes soon!