05 September 2007

Walking Around [Day 1]

Okay, clearly it's going to be difficult to re-edit these now...all the blogspot settings (such as edit, sign-in, etc.) show up in Czech! So I basically have to back-click a lot. Oh well.

Anyway, I've already gotten sick twice - both times because of reactions to parts of the airplane meals, yay! The first flight went fine. I saw my history teacher from high school in a section of the airport I couldn't get to, it was surreal to remember how long it had been since I had been in his class. It was Dr. Barnett for those of you from AIS who may read this thing. The experience in Frankfurt was horrific...oi. I'm attempting to block it. I did bump into a girl a few times, we started chatting, she's from outside Prague and she just finished being an Au Pair in the states for 2 years, so her English is pretty decent. Her name in Simona, it was nice to bounce my horrible Czech off of someone.

I didn't have to wait long once I got to the apartments. Cristian (a friend from SLC who is also in the same film program) showed up within ten minutes of my being dropped in front of the building. He helped me carry all 3 of my suitcases up 3 huge flights of stairs. I'm staying with him until Friday when I move to my apartment about a mile away. His apartment is in the center of Prague, walking distance from the main river, probably a mile from the place I'm moving to on the other side of town. I haven't seen Cristian since I went to sleep, and I woke up a lot last night...I'm a bit concerned. I took some pictures of the view from the room I stayed in, pretty. Getting in and out of the place is a nightmare, I'm awful with keys. Also, the doorknobs don't turn on one side of the door, they're more like stationary handles. Apparently children in the building like to block the keyholes with matches. Fun right? I actually need matches for the stove...

I spent a couple hours walking around a section of Prague, just to take it in. Here are some pictures that I took to give you an idea of the environment. Once I get super hungry, I'm going to go walk around and what not. I felt like an idiot at the gorcery store. I bought more than one meal's worth of food, and they don't have plastic bags. I stuffed most of it in my purse and had to carry the rest. I also almost got hit by a car and a tram...I'm already standing out to passerbyers. YAY! I'm really looking forward to orientation starting Saturday. It's really hard not to unpack. It's also weird not having any idea what my schedule is and having a few days to do whatever in a city that's so foreign. Oi! That's all for now, until I have something more interesting to report. But here's a picture of a sign in Czech, oooooh! And a picture of a statue near a pretty building, aaahhhhh! By the way, if you click the picture, it links you to the actual size, which is rather large. I'll post more pictures soon!

7 comments:

Kai Carver said...

Look forward to more pics.

By the way, those blogs of mine you linked to are very old. If you're really interested, I do occasionally post on these group blogs: cognoshanty, linkshanty.

Also, please check out Sternberg Palace and say hi to Dürer, Holbein, and Bruegel for me.

Eric G. said...

Meghan! You're in Prague! That passport crap is behind you and you are onto your life in the Czech Republic! There we go.

I'm so happy to hear you've arrived safely and are going through the awkward rites of passage that define the arrival abroad. The glimpses of Prague you gave us are pretty, and I'm sure the rest of the city has a lot to offer.

Don't worry about the waking up a lot thing. It's most likely just part of adjusting to living in a completely different place, and if it has anything to do with homesickness, that's absolutely normal.

Anyway, I'll be reading! Keep taking photos, they're awesome! I wish you the best. It's gonna be a great year for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Meghan:
Glad you made it there and saw Dr Barnett to boot. He's still my favorite teacher ever. Remember to carry your shopping bag with you...that's the green and euro way. VERY HOT here. And no power for two days now. Gilli and Griff are sittting in the pool. Get out and about and enjoy yourself!
A

oeste2 said...

Dad's thrilled you are lighting the stove with a match! He wants to send you an extra long lighter. With that said, some of the photos you've taken look like you are in an incredible place. And he's happy for you - as am I!
Mom

Leslie said...

Hey Meghan!

What a wonderful adventure you are embarking on! I will be watching and reading to catch up on your adventures in Prague - your Prague Blog (he he). I'm glad that you have arrived and have a few days to get your bearings.

I remember going to a grocery store in Germany and discovering that they didn't supply bags. The next time I went, it was armed with laundry bags from the hotel.

Anonymous said...

Meghan, I'm so glad you made it safely...us moms worry!! It looks incredible there...go where Kai suggested and take more pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hi Meghan! Looks fabulous! I've always wanted to go to Prague... Keep the pictures coming--
Love xoxoxo
Julie (your auntie)